Monday, November 7, 2016

Saving an orchid: Wet to dry cycle

When I look at a blooming orchid I see beauty. I think that a notion of beauty is often associated this fragility, however, do not be mistaken into thinking that orchid weak.

I had purchased flowers that were in bloom but their roots were rooting due to inappropriate watering and growth media. I was searching for ways to save them. In the process I managed to give them the right conditions and they pulled from the brink of death. 

Some had no roots and only leaves but their desire for life so strong that against all odds they managed to fight. 

Few things I learned:
  • Wet to dry cycle
    • Root of an orchid absorb and in case of a phalaenopsis store water. Therefore they have preference in time that they like their roots to stay wet before they dry
      • lave them too wet without ventilation and they root
      • keep they dry for too long, they will shrivel and die
    • Orchids can handle being dry much better then being wet therefore when I was trying to learn the wet to dry cycle of each orchid I stay on the side of dry.
      • Believe me I stayed on the wet side and it equals: dropped flowers, limp leafs and rot.
  • Tips to recognize wet media
    • Put your finger in the pot if the first inch of the media is damp it is wet.
    • Look at the color of the media usually dark indicates wet. 
    • Lift the pot before and after watering. Wet media is heavier ;)
    • Put a wooden stick in the pot then touch it to your wrist to detect moisture.
    • I know this list may seem funny but I did it all and do it sometimes especially when seasons change to know when to water.

No comments:

Post a Comment